The Jacket

The High Price of Education

Millennials in America go in debt trying to pay for college

Education is a high price to pay, but it's worth every penny.

Bethany Allen, Contributor

In countries like Spain, Czech Republic, Finland, Norway, and Germany, higher education is free. People can go to any of these countries from the United States or any other foreign country and attend college there, and it’s still free.

This is great for those countries because many students do not go to college in America due to it being very expensive. Other students that do attend college often struggle financially later or go in debt because it is so high-priced.

Germany tops the list when it comes to higher education at minimal or no cost. The public universities in Germany are completely free! The German education system has an excellent program. Because of this, a significant number of foreigners study at German universities.

All colleges and universities in Norway are completely free of cost, regardless of your nationality. However, you have to be proficient in Norwegian. This is because most undergraduate courses are taught in Norwegian.

Finland does not charge tuition for any level of education for any nationality, or they didn’t. They changed that in 2018, though, to where they now charge a tuition fee from anyone who is not European and non-EEA students for English-taught Masters and Bachelors programs.

In the Czech Republic, higher education is free for all nationalities. In fact, it is the law in the Czech Republic! However, you need to know the language to get higher education for free. If you do want to study in English, though, they offer a price of around $1018.85 USD for tuition. That is way better than tuition for higher education in the United States!

In Spain, it is also free for higher education. However, this is only for EU citizens. For students that aren’t European citizens, they offer a very low-cost education, as well as a reasonable cost for living there. To calculate the annual tuition fee, you would have to multiply the number of credits with 60, which is the number of credits each student is required to complete during one year of study.

In America, tuition and fees vary from college to college. According to Farran Powell, the average cost of tuition and fees for higher education in America for the 2018-2019 school year was $37,676 for private colleges, $9,716 for state residents at public colleges, and $21,629 for out-of-state students at public colleges.

Also in America, in-state tuition prices among public universities grew by 68% from just 2008 to 2009. According to a survey by EAB’s enrollment services division, about 40% of students turned down their first choice for college because of financial reasons.  

Additionally, a report by the 2018 Education at a Glance stated that the U.S. spends more on college than almost any other country. Students in America spend about $30,000 a year on college, which is almost twice as much compared to what a student in an “average developed” country spends on college.

A third of developed countries offer college free of charge to their citizens. Another third of developed countries only charge tuition to be less than $2,400 a year. The U.S. ranks number one in the world for spending on student aid. American taxpayers and families spend about $3,370 on student aid per student. This is more than three times the average for the developed countries.

In America, higher education is very expensive, especially compared to other countries. In some countries, higher education is even free. If it isn’t free, it is not nearly as much as tuition is in the U.S. The U.S. is listed as number one in the world for how much they spent on student welfare.