The Aspects of JV

Hard workers working hard

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Aspects of JV

GROUP PICTURE! The JV squad gathered around their coach, Leighanne Phipps after their first game. The girls had a great time.
Picture courtesy of Rylee Snow

GROUP PICTURE! The JV squad gathered around their coach, Leighanne Phipps after their first game. The girls had a great time. Picture courtesy of Rylee Snow

Rylee Snow, Contributor

The LHS cheerleaders have a varsity and a junior varsity team. They both work equally as hard. The JV team is made up of about six girls. A few of them just made the team during the tryouts, which took place in the week of November 6th through November 9th.

The JV team is pretty small compared to varsity and other schools’ teams.

“I do wish the JV team was bigger, not just because we need more people but because we could go to competitions and other things like varsity does,” said freshman Leah Brown.

People may assume that the JV team is left in the dust behind varsity because other sports leave their junior varsity team out. Many people on the JV team disagree with this. However, some girls agree.

“In my own opinion, I believe that JV is not treated the same as varsity, with the coaches and the people at school. While varsity gets to do new things and improve, JV just gets to keep doing the same things over and over again. But I understand why it is like that because JV means junior varsity and we still have a lot more to learn,” said junior Alley Burns.

JV is a great team to be on, especially if a cheerleader has no previous experience. The JV team is a great place for people who need more time to learn about cheer and how to do things.

“The best part about being on JV is that even if you have never cheered before you could still have a chance and look up to Varsity to know how to get better,” said Brown.

The JV team has some skills that they need to work on. The girls on the team also have less experience. Many things can only get better with time and dedication.

“I think that the JV team needs to work on sharper motions and voices.” said junior Kassidy Loveland.

All of the girls on the junior varsity cheer squad at Lebanon High School work hard every day to become more varsity level. The team strives to get more recognition from crowds and the community as well.

Sometimes the Lebanon High School cheer team feels underappreciated by the crowd at games. Both varsity and JV wish everyone in the community could see how hard they work.

“JV is great because even if somebody has never cheered before they could still have a chance and look up to Varsity to know how to get better,” said Brown.