The Jacket

To Be Heard

The Project 360 Sound House provides a place for students from all backgrounds to be heard.

The Sound House bus provides safe transportation from Lebanon High School to the Sound House and then back home for the students that need it.

unknown

Madysen Tietze, Contributor

The Project 360 Sound House was opened in August 2015. The Sound House is a safe place for teens to hang out after school. Teenagers at the Sound House come from all different backgrounds.

Students chose the name ¨Sound House¨ and the phrase,¨A place to be heard¨ three years ago when it first opened. The Sound House picks up students from the school and provides safe transportation to their building located on South Adams Street here in town.

“The Sound House means a lot to me because I could go there and be myself,” said senior Amber Montgomery

Once students arrive, snacks are provided, and students have a chance to do homework or hang out with friends. Computer labs, as well as printers and other resources, are provided to ensure students can do their work properly.

After students get settled in, they break into groups. During group time, teens learn life skills such as how to write a check, how to deal with life issues, and how to care for themselves and their families. The Sound House also provides help for students looking to get a job. Sound House volunteers will help them to know how to fill out an application and how to act in an interview.  

“I have a lot of support from the staff that works there and the kids that go,” said Montgomery.

Following group time, every day a local church, company, or caring family provides a meal for students. Students all sit together in the dining area and enjoy their meals family style. Project 360 volunteers and coordinators also join the students to enjoy the meal.

Other than a fresh meal, the Sound House provides many other care options for teenagers. Sound House provides nice clothes for to wear students for job interviews, school-related events, or everyday use. The Sound House also provides a food pantry for students to have a chance to get some food to eat at home. Many other resources, such as showers and laundry rooms, are also provided.

Sound House has two pool tables where volunteers and students have some friendly competition. They also have a ping-pong table, as well as various instruments for students to play, including a piano, keyboards, and guitars.

Gaming systems and art supplies are also provided for teens. Sound House is a non-profit organization and all these items, as well as several couches and chairs, have been provided by donors.