The Jacket

On Immortality

LHS puts on its Safety Day Assembly

Back to Article
Back to Article

On Immortality

A Somber Reminder. Eric Tietze opens the Safety Assembly by talking about his daughter's death. Picture courtesy of Tyra Rogers

The Jacket Newspaper Staff

The death or loss of a loved one is a hard topic to talk about, and even thinking that such a thing could happen is hard to swallow. To help bring that reality closer to home for students, the LHS  Positive Choices organization and community members put on an assembly to impart the importance of avoiding dangers such as distracted driving and drugs.

“Positive Choices is a group of students who help educate about positive choices. We put on assemblies, videos, posters to talk about risky behaviors. Each year we put on a Safety Day Assembly to educate fellow students about potential risks,” said sponsor Eric Adams. The assembly this began on a somber note as a father relayed the recent loss of his daughter.

Eric Tietze is a man who has been through a lot. A man who recently lost his daughter, who was not wearing her seatbelt when she was in a car accident. He is a man who had to talk in front of a bunch of strangers about his now deceased daughter. He held back his tears and stood up there strong to tell the students of LHS how very important it is to be safe.

“I really liked Eric Tietze’s talk. I thought it was moving and powerful, and it was impressive enough to silence the entire crowd,” said Ms. Hasty.

To further illustrate the hole left behind by unfortunate accidents, there were a few students who took part in reciting fake obituaries for classmates who were seated on the floor in makeup to represent their various accidents. Amber Montgomery, Valorie Taylor, Emily Crisps, Trin Carroll, Rebecca Vinzant, and Dylan Dawson were the “deceased”, and Taylor Shobe, TJay Jackson, Rachael Perschbacher, Rebecca Steiro and Hayden Kirby read their obituaries. This was made all the more poignant by the fact that the students wore makeup to represent their deaths and had remained silent all day.

“I will say the students were very into it and passionate about their roles,” said senior Payte Dugger.  

Most people say that life is short, but not being safe shortens it even further. Being safe at all times is the most important thing that one can do.

The assembly appeared to resonant with the staff and student body. Last year’s safety day featured a staged crash and a Mercy helicopter, but students seemed to prefer this year’s approach with one man’s heartfelt story.  

Positive Choices continues to hone its message and its craft, and in time, it could become a remarkable road bump that reminds teenagers to slow down for their own good.