The Jacket

Allied Forces Giving a Helping Hand

Giving a helping hand to a struggling friend or child

Whisper Kane, contributor

Not everyone has depression, high levels of stress, or crippling anxiety. I want people to understand the tells of depression, anxiety, or high levels of stress. Learn the signs, help those who don’t realize they need help.

Stress is something we all have. Some have more or less than others. When it comes to school work I have high levels of stress between the mountains of homework I get. I have my friends that I know I can talk to if I ever need help. Although it may not seem like it, stress can lead to depression, and sometimes for me, anxiety attacks.

When someone is too stressed I recommend trying to lower their levels of stress. Eliminate the thing that is stressing them out. If school work, such as homework is stressing them out, make them take a healthy break from it. Find ways that help them relieve stress.

Depression can be dangerous. Coming from someone who has had severe depression getting help is key. Try to get them to look on the brighter side of things. If their depression is bad enough it could lead to possible self-harming; wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts, even on hot days, brushing off injuries as frequent “accidents” or as a result of being clumsy, etc.

Physically they may change; scars, fresh scratches or cuts, bruises, broken bones, even patches of missing hair can be indications of self-harm. Although, I am not stating that those who show these attributes are self-harming. Another matter is that some people that are depressed can be clingy. This is because often people that are depressed just want someone there to help them through.

Anxiety has become the number one mental health issue in North America. Anxiety is different for anyone. With me, it can cause anxiety attacks. If your friend is having an anxiety attack, the number one priority is to calm them down. Get them to calm their breathing, which in turn will slow their heart allowing them to think.

No matter why you feel wrong to try to feel better. From personal experiences, talking with someone helps because bottling up your emotions can lead to it blowing up. If it is a friend going through this try to get them to talk to you and stay calm with them. If you are dating anyone with these problems stay calm and show that you love them.

Teachers can help also by paying attention to their students. Watch for signs of panic attacks. If a student is about to have a panic attack the best thing to do is to have them sit in the hallway either alone or with someone they trust. This will allow the student to calm themselves or have their friend help calm them down.

Mental illnesses are not a joke. Don’t joke about suicide by saying “I’m going to kill myself.” or jokingly talking about putting a bullet in your head. Talk to others, get help. Self-harm, suicide, or any of the mental illnesses mentioned above are not jokes they are real-world problems people go through every day.