Lebanon Soccer team preparing to dominate the Ozark Conference.

What has the soccer team done to prepare for the rough year ahead?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore, Quinton Doughty taking on an attacker in the Lebanon Soccer Tournament.

Alex Boyer

Alex Boyer

Alex Boyer

The 2018 soccer season had its ups and downs, but this year the team has raised its expectations of the program and believes it has a good chance to have a very successful season.

“This year I feel we have the most talent on the field than we have had in a long time,” said Matt Jernigan, coach of the Lebanon High school soccer team.

Last year the boy’s soccer team had seven wins and 18 losses. Coach Jernigan has more than 10 starting varsity players returning for the 2019 season. Only losing Manny Del-Rio Vasquez as right-mid.

“We have created pretty high standards for ourselves this year. We plan on having above a .500 record this year, as well top of conference,” said Jernigan. “We see this as very reasonable goals with the team chemistry we have.”

The team started practicing August 12th and they believe they are more than ready to take on this year’s challenges. With a hard schedule ahead, the team has spent plenty of time perfecting their play, their mindset, and staying in the game the whole ninety minutes.

“We spent a lot of time in the heat this summer working on the team’s chemistry,” said senior Zach Jameison, varsity captain of the 2019 season. “We have the skill to win a lot of games this year.”

Junior, Zach Richards will be returning as Lebanon’s all regional forward. Also returning will be Senior Ethan Murray, who last year got all-district for his defensive position as a center back.

The boys have plenty of returning skill in every part of the field this season. Every starter will have at least 1 year of experience on the varsity field. “For some this will even be their fourth year stepping on the varsity field,” said Jernigan.

“The team has done lots of team-building exercises and we have all grown to care about each other throughout the summer workouts and preseason,” said Jernigan. “The team went on a trip during the preseason where they did various team-building objectives and grew as a team.”

The trip was to a campground in Osage beach where they went ziplining, rock climbing and multiple team-building exercises. Which help the team build friendships, and have strong chemistry that the team will need this season

“We have the chemistry part of the team down. We are going to be working on putting the team before ourselves, but with the hard work we have been putting in, and the high standards I believe we have great chances at accomplishing the goals we have set,” said sophomore Ryder Rhoades.

The team’s first jamboree was played on August 30th on our own at Boswell School. They played with multiple teams such as Camdenton, Branson, and Bolivar. With the team beating 2 out of the three, only losing 2-1 to Branson

These boys have put in tons of time to the sport they love, which they believe will pay off in this upcoming season. With the returning members and the skill of the team this year, they will be a team to definitely be on the lookout for. The team knows they have a lot of hard work ahead of them, but with the right mindset, they are destined to have a great season.

“Be sure to come watch this season,” said Jernigan, “We will definitely be a team to watch.”