Kicking Off Constitution Project

How Constitution Project’s Starting the Year Off Before Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kicking Off Constitution Project

Constitution Project outside of the House's Chamber.

Sam Overton (Constitution Project Co-Teacher)

The start of any of the year for sport or Club is important but especially for Constitution project.

Constitution Project is a class that specializes in politics, case law, and every other part of government while specializing in Constitutional law pursuits. Over the course of the semester, students are challenged with the competition of other schools in this matter. This statewide initiative is headed by none other than Texas county judge, Doug Gaston.

There are three main groups that students are apart of for the competition: CSI, Press, and Trial teams. CSI investigates the scene, finds evidence, and secures witnesses and suspects while the Press team is on the site to get information to put in a news broadcast and in an article. A week later, Trial team faces off directly with other schools in the criminal case for defense or prosecution of the suspect.

“I think our teams are more well balanced this year. In years past we weren’t as balanced throughout the entire team,” said political science teacher Mr. Smith.

To kick-off this whole process, the class has a unique opportunity to travel to Jefferson City. From there, Constitution Project students from all around pack into Missouri’s House of Representatives chamber, listen to key-note speakers (like for example, Mike Parsons who’s Governor for Missouri), and debate on a certain bill with other teams.

“It was a great time. Seeing people like us, talking in a setting like that makes me happy to see that the future is bright,” said senior Ahmad Culp

This year the topic was the search of students’ phones for security purposes that every student experience for not had to make a case for either side of the bill beforehand. After all is said and done, everyone gathers around into a giant circle. Sounds weird right? It gets weirder even, as Gaston calls for everyone in chanting of a single phrase: “Freedom! Truth! Justice!” (about 10 times)
“I had a great experience, and it was possibly the most patriotic I have ever felt in my life,” said sophomore Jean Valentine.