Equality for All, Not Just One Group

Everyone deserves to be treated equally

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and many other sexualities and genders are apart of the LGBTQ community. However, sometimes this community is ridiculed and rejected. In Lebanon, many students at the high school are afraid to come out because of these reasons.

Coming out can be scary for the students in the community but that’s because coming out could lead to them being kicked out of their homes, bullied, or even worse murdered. Adults fear this too, however, with adults they also fear being fired.

“Coming out is a scary thing because you don’t know who is going to hurt you,” said a student who requested to remain anonymous.

There are many ways that making LGBTQ students feel more included in schools. According to Title IX “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” By following this title students can feel more included. Other ways that help LGBTQ students feel more included is telling the students that there are people to tell when bullying occurs or when they are feeling bad.

“Honestly the easiest part they can do even if they like, some teachers don’t support this, is to tell them that they have someone to talk to. Because most of us like even if we get told that we can talk to a counselor we never get told it, and there’s no way for us to feel safe if were not told at the beginning “hey you can go to them” because we’re usually told to go to them for school issues and stuff. So honestly it would be a better improvement to actually told we have people to talk to,” Kyle Juarez, a freshman in GSA.

However, things do happen and bullying is one of those things. Some students have been bullied by being called homophobic slurs, having stuff like food thrown at them, and ridiculed on social media. Also, there are statistics that back up that students are being bullied. For example, According to UCLA school of law, 85% of LGBT students have experienced verbal harassment, 27% of LGBT students have been physically harassed at school because of their sexual orientation, and 13% have been physically harassed because of their gender identity.

“Giving the same protections to everyone, regardless of gender, expression, and sexuality, then the school would be at least a little safer. The claims made by students about bullying, and who is bullying them, should be taken more seriously by the administration. It shouldn’t matter whether or not the student making the claim is openly gay or not, as that isn’t an excuse, and that isn’t the student ‘antagonizing’ the bully. Being LGBTQ+ is not an attack on anyone else, and it isn’t a reason to attack anyone else. Verbally and physically.” said Jamison Monk, a senior.

Equality is something we need in society either it is gender or sexuality equality, we want it. Gender equality isn’t something LGBTQ members want but others such as women who want equal pay or equal opportunity.

“We’re just like everyone else there’s no reason for us to be separated. Why should we? I don’t know. I don’t understand why we should be treated differently just based on like our gender, or sexuality, or skin color, anything. It doesn’t matter were just human beings,” Avery Dickinson-Moulder, a sophomore.