One Big Get-Together

Chamber and the Boswell Singers Perform for Lebanon's Annual 'Christmas in the Park'

One Big Get-Together
Chamber and the Boswell Singers Perform for Lebanon’s Annual ‘Christmas in the Park’

It was a cold winter night at Atchley Park. Hot dogs and cups of hot chocolate were being sold, people were keeping warm by the fires, children begged their parents to let them go for a carriage ride pulled by horses, and many singers were ready to perform.

The Boswell Singers, made up of students grades 4-5, along with the LHS Chamber Choir, made up of students grades 10-12, would be taking turns singing Christmas carols. Some of the students were nervous, some were excited, but overall everyone was too busy shivering to think about the performance they were about to make.

“I think we had a good turn out, and I think there were more students participating than last year. We spent lots of time during that week to prepare, but put most of our time towards our winter concert music,” said choir director Mr. Jackson.

Once the time had come and the announcement was made, the Boswell Singers took their place on the trailer, which was used as a stage. Many people were gathered around, full of curiosity. After the Boswell Singers sang the first two carols of the evening, Chamber Choir took their place on the ground in front of them. They sang the next two songs, and the choirs took turns from there.

“I think the placement we had was better than being on the stage because our sound was already a bit lighter. It was good for us to be closer to the audience,” said senior Dustin Bolt.

The Boswell Singers performed most of the popular carols: Jingle Bells, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Deck the Halls, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and Let it Snow. Chamber performed God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, The First Noel, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Joy to the World, Carol of the Bells, and Joy Shall be Yours in the Morning. The audience clapped in between every two songs. After all twelve of these carols were finished, the choirs sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas together. The audience cheered loudly and the students split to find their families and be congratulated for all their hard work practicing being paid off.

“I think overall the performance went pretty well. I think we had good volume and energy and diction behind our singing. We can work on blending together by listening to each other,” said senior choir president Madison Dameron.