All of our Heritage

Heritage Class's experience in bridging the divide.

Back to Article
Back to Article

All of our Heritage

Honors History teacher, Mrs. Perschall, sits at her desk ready for day of teaching students.

Braxton Myers

Braxton Myers

Braxton Myers

Braxton Myers
Honors History teacher, Mrs. Perschall, sits at her desk eager for a day of discussion of current affairs

In today’s world, activism and involvement with the government seems to be widespread everywhere we turn. That’s why, when it comes to preparing students for life, teaching how government and politics affect each and every one of us is extremely important. Advanced U.S. Government and Politics (or Heritage) is one of these classes taught at the high school that bridges these gaps. 

“Heritage was started over 50 years ago to help broaden the horizons of students to be engaged in society and government. It’s my job to get students to be challenged with differing world views,” said Heritage teacher Mrs. Perschall.

Braxton Myers
Desks that students sit in every day. This is where students argue, discuss, and agree on certain topics.

Over the course of the past 5 years Perschall has been teaching the class with an expectation for class conversation on the state of politics that day. Though, talking about politics in itself can have the opportunity to be dividing. Discussion around it taps into the way that each student views the world from a very basic level. Understandably, civil discussion sometimes gets out of hand. However, Perschall welcomes it. 

“It can get out-of-hand but that’s kind of the point. You see, since its an honors history course and its full of seniors, you already have those argumentation skills for a real discussion,” said Perschall.

With the civil discussion, the class is also taught about the context of history in society today. The curriculum isn’t taught just through the teacher, chromebooks, or even textbooks, but is also taught through daily news sources and of course the class trip at the end of the year. In April, the class has an amazing opportunity to visit places like Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and New York. 

“The trip is vital to learning about the key places in American history,” Perschall said