Putting the Restroom Rumors to Rest

How Administration officials have drawn critique from the student body and community in regards to the privacy of bathrooms.

Braxton Myers

Restrooms at the Lebanon High School where students were monitored and critique from the community sprung.

Braxton Myers

Vaping has become an epidemic in our schools. With the rise of vaping, LHS has taken a ‘no-tolerance’ policy with vaping and regards it as a major issue. However, students have persisted in the one place that has limited administration oversight: the bathrooms. Restrooms are places that are least guarded by the administration and other teachers (for legal reasons) in cases of misconduct. To combat this, administration officials like Principal Kevin Lowery put events in place Tuesday that has drawn criticism from the community, as well as students.

The event included limiting the number of people in the bathroom at a time, to go as far as administration and teachers tallying the number of students coming in and out of the restroom. The number of students in the boys’ restroom was limited to 10 and the girls’ to 9.

James McCarthy, sophomore, wrote on Twitter that the situation was a “…huge invasion of privacy”.

While some students say that the event is extreme, others say that there are better policies that need to be in effect.

“Not every single kid using the restroom is going to vape. It is getting annoying. Something they can do is have a teacher stand in each bathroom in between classes. If they did that not every kid who vapes would have a chance to vape. Also, they should do random searches just like they do random drug tests except do searches more often,” said junior Joshua Tamayo.

In response to criticism ranging from privacy issues to limit the ability to go to the restroom, officials attend concerns.

“That was a one-day event, we just wanted to see what would happen if we had a visible presence and it was more regulated based on the number of stalls we had in each bathroom. It doesn’t matter if there were 50 people in the bathroom, the fact is, there only 7 urinals, in the boy’s restroom, and 3 stalls. What we were trying to do, was trying to give people who really needed to go an opportunity to go in privacy,” said Principal Kevin Lowery.

Administration officials do not plan on using the policy as a regular practice as of right now.