The Threat to Our Heritage

How the Heritage class's annual trip might be under siege from the new pandemic.

Braxton Myers

Classes are encouraged to work inside of the text book to create notes for upcoming tests, and use class time wisely with responsibility in their hands.

As the threat of the COVID-19 sweeps the nation and the school district’s recent decision to close the school until the 24th of March, concern for cancelations of extracurricular activities and trips that students are apart of has risen. Advanced Placement American Politics and Government’s (or in short, Heritage’s) trip are among the most likely threatened to be canceled this upcoming April amid growing concerns about the virus. The educational journey is planned to have been going to cities close to our history around American politics, such as Washington D.C., New York, and Philadelphia.

“The trip is vital to learning about the key places in American history,” said Heritage teacher and senior chaperone, Amanda Perschall.

Braxton Myers
Mason DeVasure is a senior classmate in Heritage. There, he gives an unique perspective on issues of the day.

Learning about other viewpoints as well as developing views of their own, the class centers around seniors’ views on politics and dissonant situations that burden members in society. Since its intensity, the Heritage trip eases some of the stress from the class, creating an incentive for students to take the class. While not being the main reason to take the course, the trip is a token part of the class’s culture and promise.

“I most looking forward to touring the cities with my friends, and just spending time with them,” said senior Mason DeVasure.

As you can imagine, a trip of this size costs a large sum of money. Students are encouraged to raise, borrow, or earn upwards of one to two thousand dollars by the end of the 2019 fiscal year in order to save up enough for the seven-day trip. However, if the trip is canceled, it’s uncertain if the amount would be refunded back to the students.

“If it gets refunded, my dad would just pocket it, since he was the one who paid for it. A lot of other people’s parents paid for it,” DeVasure said.