Time to Compete

The members of the Science Olympiad put their knowledge to the test.

Whisper Kane

Leah Boyce, Mansi Patel, and Mr. Slye playing rummy, to pass the time before the awards assembly. Many of the members of Science Olympiad played card games to pass the time but this also help them get used to each other.

Months of preparation go into this moment. Building their projects, studying their topics, and honing their skills. On February 22, 2020, the members of the Science Olympiad went to Missouri University of Science & Technology to compete in the Missouri Science Olympiad state tournament.

“Science Olympiad is very important to me because it allows students to engage in science from a different perspective. Students get to collaborate with each other in areas of interest and then have an opportunity to showcase their skills through competition. From the planning stages to the competition, students are engaged with multiple scientific processes and practices. Watching students be passionate about science and unlocking new interests and possibilities is why I really enjoy coaching LHS Science Olympiad,” said club sponsor Mr. Slye.

The competition was all-day the team had to leave at 7 in the morning to get the competition at Missouri S&T. The competition was a regional competition and this is the region 5 competition. Since many members of the Science Olympiad won their events, they will be going onto the state competition. The state competition was supposed to occur on April 4th, 2020 at Westminster which is in Fulton, MO, however, it was canceled.

One of the teams that got first place was the Fossil team composed of James Hopkins and Alex Wears. This was their second year competing in this event. The team competed at 2:30 pm which was right after their lunch.

“Yes, I had a lot of fun. Studying something that you love for many hours, and then going to the competition to show off your skills is very rewarding. I am going to miss it so much next year. Not only am I going to miss being with my friends all day, but I am also going to miss being the chance to go to state for our school,” said Alex Wears, a senior, who was competing in ornithology, fossils, and write-it do it with James Hopkins.

The competitors have been studying for their events since school started in August of 2019. Some competitors are returning the events meaning they have already competed in the event once before. Most of the seniors competing in the competition this year are returning including Thomas Cleveland, Mansi Patel, Leah Boyce, James Hopkins, and Alex Wears.

“I am definitely going to miss it, it was a lot of fun. I definitely feel like it could have been changed for the better in a lot of different ways, but at the same time, I wouldn’t have traded it for anything. I really enjoyed it” said Cleveland, a returning senior who was competing in chemistry Lab, circuit Lab, code busters, and astronomy.