The Jacket

The Nun Movie Review

Photo from http://www.impawards.com/2018/nun.html

“The Nun” Movie Review

By Grant Weaver

AVAILABLE IN THEATERS NOW:

“The Nun”, a cinematic horror film in The Conjuring franchise, has been a recent hit in the box office and has been an interest in the eye of many fans of the genre. Being part of a very successful line of films, “The Nun,” had many high expectations awaiting it before its arrival to the big screen on September 6, 2018. Using a somewhat limited array of cinematic methods to place fear into the heart of the audience, “The Nun” was effective in its goal but lacked an active story plot.

This film used a stunning display of visual effects and sounds to make a truly beautiful piece. The eyes were pleased while the depth of the story left the viewer underwhelmed. With such great potential for a truly immersive plot and characters, “The Nun” left most of its characters shallow and rather cookie cutter. Frenchie, played by Jonas Bloquet, was probably the most unique character in the show. We are presented with a priest, Fr. Burke, played by Demián Bichir, and a young girl who has yet to take her vows, Sister Irene, played by Taissa Farmiga. With such flat characters, we, as the audience, are unable to build a deep connection to the characters, which limits the movie experience.

Besides the lack of character depth, the horror aspect of the movie at times felt overplayed. The jumpscares are easily predictable and have been overplayed so many times in horror movies you can see them from a mile away. The movie does however exploit an array of different common phobias. Claustrophobia, the fear of snakes, and the fear of the supernatural are all well represented in this movie. However, the clichés of horror movies appear as well. From slow camera panning to sudden jump scares, it all seems tired and as though it’s been done before.

Overall this movie was nothing entirely impressive. It had beautiful combinations of sounds and visual effects that made watching it gorgeous, but lacked the depth that we have come to expect from “The Conjuring” universe. With high expectations it did not quite meet them compared to other recent horror movies, “The Conjuring” is worth the watch but not worth the hype.