The Jacket

Filed under Features, Showcase

100 Years Later

The Magnet Yearbook Celebrates 100 Years Since the First Volume was Published in 1920

1920 Magnet:
Starting a Tradition: Volume 1 of The Magnet looks very different from today’s yearbooks. Named after the Magnetic waters that once drew visitors to Lebanon, this paperback yearbook features a tassel binding and a vintage Magnet design that was used on the cover for many years. 

2019 Magnet Mockup:
A Modern Take: This mockup of the 2019 Magnet cover features a vintage look with a black fabric wrap with a gold foil yellow jacket embossed in the center. This interior of the yearbook will contract the cover with a clean modern design.

1920 Magnet: Starting a Tradition: Volume 1 of The Magnet looks very different from today’s yearbooks. Named after the Magnetic waters that once drew visitors to Lebanon, this paperback yearbook features a tassel binding and a vintage Magnet design that was used on the cover for many years. 2019 Magnet Mockup: A Modern Take: This mockup of the 2019 Magnet cover features a vintage look with a black fabric wrap with a gold foil yellow jacket embossed in the center. This interior of the yearbook will contract the cover with a clean modern design.

Flapper dresses, swing music, prohibition, women’s rights, commercial radio, and the founding of the NFL are all memories associated with the 1920’s. However, Lebanon High School has one very important memory of 1920: volume #1 of the Magnet Yearbook. That’s right, this year the Magnet Yearbook celebrates its 100th birthday.

“This year our goal is to bring back some of the vintage elements from past books, but put our own modern twist on it,” said junior Zora Rowe, editor-in-chief of the 2018-19 Magnet yearbook.

The 2018-2019 Magnet Staff will publish volume #87 of The Magnet. Those who are doing the math may have already noticed that the volume number does not match the age. If volume #1 was published in 1920 then 2019 should be volume #100. Even though the volume number is off, the years are not. For 13 years from 1932 to 1944 the Magnet was not published due to economic struggles during the Great Depression and WWII.   

“As a further indication of the economic situation confronting us and our parents, the decision was reached that we could have a high school ring or yearbook, but not both,” stated Robert L. Brownfield, class of 1933, in “The Delayed Magnet” published in 1983.

Throughout this school year, the Magnet Staff plans to publish several features detailing the history of The Magnet and spotlighting memorable events and figures throughout the yearbook’s history.

“This anniversary presents a very unique and exciting opportunity for the Magnet Staff,” said Matt Starnes, Magnet Advisor. “The Magnet not only details Lebanon High School’s history, but it is a part of history in-and-of itself. This year the staff wants to celebrate the yearbook and the people, places and events that have made The Magnet and Lebanon High School what they are today,” Starnes said.

The Lebanon High School Magnet staff is asking that anyone with an interest in following and/or contributing to the planning and celebration of The Magnet please follow the “Magnet Yearbook History” facebook group.