The Jacket

You Don’t Need Cows! #1/3

FFA: Not like the rest

We Stand Together:
Huddled in a circle the 2018-2019 Lebanon FFA Officers join in prayer over the upcoming year. Despite the differences that are among the team, they stand together in unity symbolizing the acceptance of FFA.

Krysta White

We Stand Together: Huddled in a circle the 2018-2019 Lebanon FFA Officers join in prayer over the upcoming year. Despite the differences that are among the team, they stand together in unity symbolizing the acceptance of FFA.

Krista White, Contributor

FFA is more than meets the eye

By Krista White

Do you know what FFA is all about? As a student in FFA, I do, but as a younger child, I thought it was all about animals. I thought it had to do with wearing camo, going hunting, owning cattle, as well as wearing overalls and boots everyday. However, I realized there was so much more after joining.

The National FFA Organization is a widely known organization. The letters FFA stand for Future Farmers of America. Now I know that many think that they must be a farmer to be in this organization, but it’s just the opposite. Over the course of this column, I’m going to give you major reasons why students in high school should be involved in FFA.   

You don’t need cows! They aren’t required. Neither are camo shirts with overalls. You don’t even have to own a pair of cowboys boots or Twisted X. There is an official FFA dress code that is required for formal FFA functions, that’s al! This includes a blue corduroy jacket dating back to 1933. This jacket represents the students’ state and chapter as well as signifying unity. These jackets come together at local, state, and national levels. FFA national convention is the second largest convention in United States. With or without cows, students belong to the FFA.

FFA is not 4-H. They are both very strong agricultural programs, yet they are different in many ways.  4-H is sponsored by the extension service, which is an outside of school activity. FFA is part of a school’s agricultural education program offered to high school students. Besides being an FFA advisor,  an agriculture education teacher  provides an array of classes based on the interests and needs of the students, such as animal science, veterinary medicine, environmental science, and the list goes on. FFA allows hands on activities throughout the school day to provide fun and educational relief.

Students don’t have to be a typical farmer. They don’t have to live on a farm or own livestock. FFA accepts all.