The Jacket

You Don’t Need Cows! #2/3

What sets FFA apart from the rest.

By Krista White

So far I have given two reasons why students should be in FFA. It is because they accept everyone no matter how we dress and they are in school activities.

FFA is inclusive. All students—city, town, rural, farm, shy, outgoing, athletic and musical—are encouraged to join FFA. The world needs more inclusivity instead of exclusivity. It’s not about who you are or where you came from. It is about what you do to leave an impact on the chapter and what you do to get the most out of it. Students who are musical can try out for the National FFA talent, chorus, and band groups. If you are outgoing, you can compete in contests. Athletic people can show off their skills in talent contests. Students can give speeches, or job interviews and so much more.  

In FFA, there are not cuts, and students do not make baskets or score touchdowns. They are not known for have a winning or a losing streak. However, they are part of a team. It’s a competition with the highest level of integrity, compassion and encouragement of one another I have ever observed, both as a competitor for a number of years and as a student. Additionally, students will learn cooperation, time management, work ethic, goal setting, research, writing, problem solving, public speaking and business skills.

FFA contests are called Career Development Events (CDEs). There are more than 30 CDEs in FFA. Here are just a few: soils, livestock evaluation, floriculture, food science, dairy foods, poultry, speaking, farm business management, and so much more. CDEs provide kids hands-on opportunities to test the skills they learn in a classroom in industry-focused, real-world events. There are a few CDEs that will fuel a students passions. One child’s first CDE, for example dairy foods, may not be their forte. Testing milk could make them sick to their stomach. The next year, they might find their  passion and voice in the prepared public speaking CDE or the livestock evaluation CDE.

There are several aspects of contest that are promised to fit the needs and wants of every student.