You Don’t Needs Cows! #3/3

Lifelong skills gained through FFA

Back to Article
Back to Article

You Don’t Needs Cows! #3/3

Krista White, Contributor

Previously I have shown you a few insights on what FFA consists of. As I continue to tell you why students should be in FFA,  I hope you are becoming more apt to let your children join.

FFA students learn by doing. Supervised Agricultural Experiences, also known as SAE’s, provide a hands-on learning environment that teaches through entrepreneurship, internship or job placement, research or experimentation, as well as exploring new career opportunities. My SAE is working on our family’s farm and showing livestock. I am learning hands-on skills that will not only help me with livestock showing but instead skills that will last me a lifetime. I am learning how to manage my money and my time. I deal with livestock on a daily basis and I learn helpful tips from my grandparents, as well as my agricultural advisor. FFA advisors check in on students that have told them what their SAE consists of. They provide information from their own experiences and help students learn new things.

FFA members are the future of our world. Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking; I wasn’t in FFA, I live in a city, we are not from a farm, and I doubt my child will want a career dealing with agriculture. FFA teaches key leadership skills that are useful for a lifetime. When walking into a job interview, I was automatically acknowledged as an FFA member. Without looking at my resume or asking me if I owned a blue corduroy jacket, because of my preparation, presentation, and accuracy during a job interview, I was able to receive a job easily.

Without FFA, I would still be the shy girl in the corner that would have never gotten up to speak in front of a crowd. I wouldn’t know how to manage my money or handle livestock. I wouldn’t see that agriculture plays such a huge role in our everyday lives. Put your children through an FFA program because it will drastically change their lives and better prepare them for the real world.