The Jacket

Broken Chains

¨Our family chain is broken, and nothing seems the same, but as God calls us one by one the chain will link again” said Ron Tranmer. By: Madysen Tietze

Back to Article
Back to Article

Broken Chains

Madysen Tietze, Contributor

July 18, 2018, started off as any regular morning. Little did we know our family chain would be broken a few short hours later. I was on my way to color guard camp. I grabbed all my stuff and rushed out the door. On my way downstairs I knocked a picture off the wall and intended to pick it up as soon as I got home.

It was just like any other normal day at guard camp until my aunt came rushing in and told me to get my stuff ready as she pulled my coach into another room.

As we pulled up to the house I noticed numerous cars parked all around. I was met at the door by my dad as he pulled me into a hug and started crying. My dad explained to me that my sister Cassie was involved in an accident that ended her life.

A million thoughts rushed through my head. As I made my way up the stairs one slow step at a time I looked at the picture I had knocked off the wall that morning. I realized it was a picture of Cassie. Over the next few days, I saw my family begin the process of grieving. People came and went. Some brought food. All brought love and sympathy.

During this time I just felt numb. That Friday, July 20th my dad preached my sisters’ memorial service to over 300 of her friends and family all there to honor her memory. My dad stated, ¨There are only three things that can get our family through these times, faith, family, and friends.”

During this time I faced a major spiritual battle. My spirit believed everything was going to be fine and I would see my sister again, but my heart was broken and weak. I felt strength and comfort while feeling broken and lost at the same time. The spirit and the heart kept pulling back and forth; it felt like a game of tug-of-war.

Some days the spirit would win and others the heart would win. I would get to a point where this battle was so intense that I would be shaking and crying. I would be so hurt and angry that I just wanted to punch my fist through a wall. I spent many Sundays crying on an altar. I felt like I couldn’t handle it anymore. I was coming to a point where I understood how someone could go through a turmeric situation and lose faith. I clung to my faith, and that is what has sustained me thus far.

I didn’t know how to deal with grief; none of my family did. For me, I had never had to deal with something like this. I pushed all but three or four people out of my life. I spent a lot of time alone crying because I didn’t want to bother my friends with my problems. I soon decided I couldn’t continue on like this anymore, but I still didn’t know what to do. I wished there was someone to help give me ideas on what to do.  It took awhile, but I eventually figured out how to deal with my grief in a healing way. I now want to use my story to help others in similar situations.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Broken Chains”

1. JESSELYN FLEMING on October 31st, 2018 11:38 am

Upon reading this, I cried until I could barely see the words through my tears…this is so heartbreaking…I so wished you had come and talked to me….I know I couldn’t have taken away your deep sorrow but I believe I could have helped you through your grief in some small ways..you see Mady, I have many books about the afterlife and have studied this for many years…my books explain so many things most people don’t know or even think about….their wisdom has gotten me though many rough times…I am so glad you have learned to deal with your grief but should you ever need to talk, i am always here for you or anyone who wishes to understand more about the afterlife…these books explain everything about death and living in Heaven….I love you so much and knowing how you hurt, hurts me….I’m here if you ever need me…GiGi

2. Betty Thacker on October 31st, 2018 12:16 pm

Love your hallmark heart…

3. Toni Mcmanners (Brumley) on October 31st, 2018 8:30 pm

I’m so sorry you have had to go through such a horrific loss. My heart hurts for you. My love and prayers are with you. God will see you through this. He Will never leave you nore forsake you. He knows your sufferings and is there all the time. God bless you sweet girl. God bless you

4. Aunt Debbie on October 31st, 2018 8:47 pm

Maddie, that is so beautiful, and beautifully written. I am so proud of you. You can conquer anything you set your mind to, but this is very hard and never really conquered. It will get a better little by little and in time. You can never be a burden to your family or your true friends. We are always here for you. And Never give up your faith as God can comfort in ways that no earthly person can. He will never ever leave you. He will carry you when needed. I love you.

5. Toni Redick on December 5th, 2018 11:52 am

Madysen ~ You are such a gifted writer! Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us. The Lord is already shining through you from this tragedy. I am so proud of you! Continue seeking the Lord and HE will give you strength.

Psalm 147: 3 says, “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Broken Chains

Column

Cold Turkey: Part IV

• Broken Chains

Column

Cold Turkey: Part III

• Broken Chains

Column

Cold Turkey: Part II

• Broken Chains

Column

Cold Turkey: Part I

• Broken Chains

Column

To Be Heard

• Column

Giving it all to God

• Column

GO CAPPS

• Broken Chains

Column

The High Price of Education

• Broken Chains

Column

Having Gospel-Centered Conversations

• Broken Chains

Column

Joy

The Student News Site of Lebanon High School
Broken Chains