The Jacket

The Nun Review

The haunting prequel to one of the scariest films of the past decade By: Adam Walters

The Nun follows Sister Irene, played by Taissa Farmiga and Father Burke played by Demian Bichir, as they encounter a demonic spirit. While they are investigating the mysterious death of a nun. This cinematic horror film was directed by Corin Hardy and the story came from the mind of horror master James Wan who has directed previous films such as Saw and The Conjuring along with its sequel. It is the fifth film in the Conjuring franchise and it is a prequel to the other films in the series. The Nun has been getting moderate to negative reviews as it currently has a 5.7/10 rating on IMDb and a Metascore of 46 on Metacritic, but in my opinion, this is a very good film that every horror fan should go and watch.

Let’s start with the cast, everybody’s performance in this film is good, especially from the two stars Taissa Farmiga and Demian Bichir. Despite that, some of the decisions the characters make are just dumb and they can also be very bland and uninteresting, which can take the enjoyment right out of the film for some people. Also, The Nun is a very intense and suspenseful experience, but I wouldn’t call the movie scary. There are definitely some scary moments scattered around the movie, but for a horror film, the scares were very tame, ineffective, and predictable. The pacing of the film was good as the movie never got boring and it never felt like it was moving too quickly. The main antagonist of the film who is called The Nun is a captivating character that is truly scary and is a very intimidating character. The scenes where The Nun is on screen and terrorizing the protagonists are the best moments of the entire film, especially the final battle. Speaking of the final battle, the ending to the film is very satisfying and the way the events of the film are connected to the events of The Conjuring and other films in the franchise is very rewarding for fans of the series.

While most reviews for The Nun aren’t necessarily positive the box office for the film was super successful, the movie has made over $100 million domestically which ranks eighth all-time for R- rated horror films and it’s not even out of theatres yet. So if you’re a fan of The Conjuring franchise or just a horror fan in general then this is a must watch.