The Jacket

Bohemian Rhapsody

Malek brings Mercury back

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bohemian Rhapsody

Grant Weaver, Contributor

“Bohemian Rhapsody”, directed by Bryan Singer, is a Drama/Biography centered around lead singer Farrokh Bulsara (Freddie Mercury) and the band Queen. The film title is based around arguably Queen’s most iconic hit. The movie follows the evolution of the band with a stunning performance by Rami Malek as Freddie Mercury.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” is able to present an interesting and immersive biographical picture. Director Bryan Singer was able to mix a number of elements to create a rounded and courageous film.

The film does take a controversial step into Mercury’s personal life in his relations. The film uses every outlet available to maintain a PG-13 rating, while still developing his homosexuality and implying his relations with other characters. The storyline has, at times, a stereotypical and cookie-cutter feel with the predicted failures and hardships as well as the process of overcoming those challenges.

Much of the talk around this film centers around Rami Malek’s portrayal of Freddie Mercury. While supporting staff hold their own and developed beautifully alongside Malek, Rami stole the show. As the main character, we see what Malek could easily portray a cheesy and overdone impression of a musical icon, flower into a stunning performance of Mercury. Malek captures the charisma and presence of Mercury’s performances and hits the nail on the head with his character.

One of the most entertaining scenes in the film follows the band’s creative style with taking unconventional items and using them with instruments to create new sounds and add new depths to their music. Scenes like this pushed the idea of the risky and unique methods to create a new sound that Queen implemented into their music.

Overall this movie is a must-see for all Queen and Freddie Mercury fans. Despite its worn story outline, the film still delivers a charming story that offers a new insight to the creation of some of the 20th centuries most iconic music and an unforgettable performance by Rami Malek and supporting staff.

1 Comment

One Response to “Bohemian Rhapsody”

1. Michelle Armstrong on December 5th, 2018 8:55 am

Great review! I’m going to have to take Dr. Armstrong to see it, now that you shared such a good review!!

Love that your class is doing this informative LHS website!

Come by the JSC–I have a Buzz Buck for you!
    Mrs. Armstrong:)

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Movies

The Exorcist Film vs. Novel

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Movies

“Batman: The Killing Joke” Novel vs Film

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Movies

The Two Masterpieces that Changed Horror Forever

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Movies

“Halloween” Movie Review

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Movies

Marvel’s “Spider-Man” Video Game Review

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Movies

The Nun Review

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Movies

The Nun” Movie Review

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Entertainment

Agonizingly Dull

• Bohemian Rhapsody

Lifestyle

Holiday Door Decorating Contest!

• Video

Wrestling

The Student News Site of Lebanon High School
Bohemian Rhapsody