How Coaches Influence Athletes

Volleyball coaches spicing things up

Time+with+the+team+and+the+coaches.+The+Lebanon+volleyball+team+piled+up+on+the+bus+for+a+fun+day+of+team+building+in+Branson.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

How Coaches Influence Athletes

Time with the team and the coaches. The Lebanon volleyball team piled up on the bus for a fun day of team building in Branson.

Coach Collins

Coach Collins

Coach Collins

Tyra Rogers, Contributor

Getting along with a coach might not always be easy for some people. When athletes build relationships with their coaches, it sets them up for success later on. Coaches are very important and nothing could be done if we didn’t have them to guide us where we need to be to compete at the high school level.

There are several volleyball players who are close with their head coach, Coach Collins.  Most of the newcomers who play volleyball aren’t as close with Collins because they’re usually on freshman or they’re on Junior Varsity and haven’t spent as many years with her as the upperclassmen have.

“Volleyball is a game I’m very passionate about and I know that we would be lost without an organized program and coach,” said junior Bailey Hough.

However, athletes don’t have to build relationships just with the head coach to set them up for success later. Any coach that will be there for a player is a coach to keep around.  Freshman coach, Leslee Hough is a great example of making sure not only her athletes, but her children are set up for success also.

“I like my mom being my coach because she can always help me with things I need to work on,” said freshman Myah Hough.   

Coaches have a big impact on the wins and losses during a sport. The athletes, of course, have to do all the work but coaches are there to give tips to fix personal mistakes, to not only help themselves but the team as a whole. This year the volleyball team had a record of 23-11.

“We had four straight conference wins right before our district tournament. I think that those wins were important going into districts as they kinda gave us a confidence booster. We were playing some really good teams going into the district tournament,” said Collins.

However, for coach Collins, it’s not just about winning. Volleyball is more than playing a sport, it’s about becoming a family. Every summer Collins puts together a day for team bonding after practice and the girls enjoy it.

“We spent the day in Branson for our team bonding day, this last summer. We went to the escape room and then ended with a trip to Fritz Adventure,” said junior Elle Douglas.

Not many people realize how much time coaches devote to their team. In addition to the long days and countless hours set aside for volleyball.  The encouragement and support from the coaches, also makes the team more comfortable with each other.

“One thing I love about coach Collins is shes very encouraging. She always gives us quotes to encourage us through practices and games,” said Douglas.