Student Feature of Avery Hays

Volleyball junior “sets” herself apart

Junior+Avery+Hays+celebrating+after+a+victorious+play.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Feature of Avery Hays

Junior Avery Hays celebrating after a victorious play.

Aimee Hays

Aimee Hays

Aimee Hays

Tyra Rogers, Contributor

Avery Hays is the name, playing volleyball is the game.  Junior Avery Hays has been playing volleyball since she was in sixth grade.

“It grabbed my attention when I saw a lot of people doing it at recess, and it seemed fun,” said Hays, a setter on the volleyball team.

Being in sixth grade and not being able to join a sports team until the next year, she probably needed someone to push her to start continuing to do what she ended up loving.  Two of Hays’ influencers were her parents.

“My parents are my influencers because no matter what happens they always believe in me and push me to be my best,” Hays said.

Hays is busy with sports all year long. She’s does volleyball and Dream Team during the fall, then continues to play club volleyball in the winter. She also plans to run track this year instead of playing soccer. Balancing volleyball and Dream Team is probably not the easiest, but Hays pushes through it and still manages to keep her grades up.

“At times it’s hard to balance volleyball and Dream Team, but I really like both, so it’s worth any of the struggles,” Hays said.

Just like football and basketball, there are many games and practices to attend during the off season to prepare for the upcoming season. With Hays’s junior season almost being over for volleyball, that leaves her to start training for her senior year.

“I’m going to prepare for my senior year by going to a different club and putting a lot of work in during off-season,” Hays said.

The Lebanon High School girls volleyball team recently beat Camdenton in 2 sets on their home court.

“It always feels good to beat Camdenton, but we’ve never lost to them since junior high, so i’m definitely used to the feeling,” Hays said.

Senior night was October 16, and the team defeated Hillcrest in two sets. That wrapped up the home games for the Jackets.