The Jacket

A Day In the Life of a Cross Country Runner

Speaking with Cael Schmitz

Sophomore+Cael+Schmitz+finishing+strong+and+medaling+in+a+tough+course+in+Pomme+De+Terre.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Cael Schmitz finishing strong and medaling in a tough course in Pomme De Terre.

Good Nature Photography

Good Nature Photography

Good Nature Photography

Zach Jamieson, Contributor

Cross country runners are by far some of the most exciting, interesting, and weird people one might meet. They do crazy things, like running thirteen miles for fun or waking up at 5:15 to go to morning practice when it is forty degrees outside. The life of a cross-country runner is extremely tough and impressive.

¨I set three alarms 5 minutes apart from each other that way I have to get up, also I have to have the motivation to get better or I wouldn’t go,¨ said Cael Schmitz.

Routine is a concept that most people understand well. People plan out their days and schedule their lives. For runners, that is no different.

¨When we are at practice we usually have just a 4-6 mile run on most days, except on Tuesdays and Thursdays we will have some sort of workout. Most runners will do this same thing except the days we do the workouts,¨ said Cael Schmitz, sophomore. “The usual routine is we have morning practice at 6:00 am and evening practice right after school at 3:30 pm¨ Schmitz continued.

Waking up super early on a school day then staying at practice until dinner time can be a tough schedule for runners to maintain, but if anyone can do it, it is them.

¨I try to eat healthy and drink a lot of water every day so I can stay hydrated” said Schmitz. This is one of the many ways he prepares. ”Race day is a great day because it’s when I get to see my times improve, by training all week and off-season hard. About 15 min before the race the whole team warms up and gets ready to compete¨ continued Schmitz.

The day in the life of a runner has many activities that need to be accomplished to meet their goals. From showing up to practice and doing a hard hill workout all the way to hydrating days in advance of a race, runners have a tough but fulfilling schedule.