The Jacket

This Is Me

The attention-drawing “This is me”, a song of self-acceptance.

Back to Article
Back to Article

This Is Me

Braydon Day, Contributor

Songwriters for the 2017 movie The Greatest Showman, Benj Pasek, and Justin Paul, wrote a story of finding love in oneself. This song was sung by Keala Settle, who played the bearded lady, and the rest of who are considered circus freaks as a way to say that they don’t need other people’s approval.  

The song starts out soft and slow, with its opening line, “I am not a stranger to the dark.” While this line may not seem to hold value, it does have a large impact, especially to someone who has felt outcast.

Being in the dark and feeling terrible about oneself is something that is far too familiar to many people. It is hard for people to be okay with themselves when the societal image is far from what they are.

From that point, the song picks up more of an anthem beat and focuses on themes of not needing to care about what other people think and finding strength in who they are as a person.

Lines like, “I won’t let them break me down to dust–” and “Look out ‘cause here I come, and I’m marching on to the beat I drum” have the meaning of the only opinion that matters is a person’s own.

Staying in the dark isn’t something people are just going to let happen. “I’m not scared to be seen, I make no apologies” is a line in the chorus that is pretty powerful. When sitting back and thinking about it, saying that someone doesn’t care about how other people see them and that they shouldn’t be sorry about who they are.

The second verse picks up with similar themes, saying things like; “… Fire away, cause today, I won’t let the shame sink in.” A message saying they won’t let other peoples words make them feel dejected. Also saying “We are bursting through the barricade, reaching for the sun.” The ‘barricade’ almost seems like a metaphor for the walls put up towards them for being different and saying that they will be accepted, even if they have to fight for it.    

but a line near the end of the song has some meaning behind it that stands out. “And I know that I deserve your love. There is nothing I’m not worthy of.” These lines assert almost a self-dominance over your life and what it can hold.